ignore me
Archives | Subscribe | Contact | Current Page: Dreams of the Quill Forums • View topic - Verga Dissonance v0.1 | Top
HomeWritingsArtMiscAboutForumsWiki

Verga Dissonance v0.1

Discussion of custom scenarios, map editing strategies, etc.

Verga Dissonance v0.1

Unread postby Flak on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:41 am

Unread postby Flak » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:41 am

I released the latest version of my singleplayer RPG yesterday.

Grab it here. Please don't edit or distribute this map without my permission.

------ Major Changes
-- you can now join Shinobi or Akatsuchi in addition to the Underworld
-- reached the 10 total quests point
-- two new areas, one in use and one not
-- more detailed and intricate interaction with NPCs
-- fixed a lot of continuity issues in dialogue
------ Changelog

Note- this release does not include any of the changes that Surreal made to the doodads and terrain. Those will be included in future versions of Verga Dissonance.
Last edited by Flak on Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flak wrote:annual rice tax!
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Pieces of Forum-Pie: 8495
Do You Know Flak IRL: Yes

v0.1.1

Unread postby Flak on Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:51 pm

Unread postby Flak » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:51 pm

Implementing Surreal's changes to the terrain, and a couple of my own, v0.1.1 is playable. Terrain aside, the most notable change is that if you summon protection in your demon form, the summons will attack you. In addition to that (rather minor) change (of 3 lines of triggering) I did a huge amount of data-shifting in order to clear the way for more productive editing in the future.

Grab it here. Oh, and, as always, all that's new is covered in the changelog.

EDIT: I did some renaming and reuploading, and the current uploaded v0.1.1 works fine on my computer when I try to open it in WE. There's also a minor bug fix (thanks to Alar's keen eyes) so if you're editing, Surreal, make sure to use the new file.

EDIT2: I just realized that I forgot to put Surreal in the credits. My bad. I'll edit that in for v0.1.2, after said awesome terrainer sends me a copy of the map with his latest changes.
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby KingCrazyGenius on Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:32 pm

Unread postby KingCrazyGenius » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:32 pm

Interesting. Makes me almost wish I was home, and had a functional copy of WC3. But I hate it at home, so I wish nothing.
If it's something that can be stopped, just try and stop it!
KingCrazyGenius
Veteran
Level 29 Urban Barbarian

Pieces of Forum-Pie: 8239

Unread postby Flak on Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:15 am

Unread postby Flak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:15 am

Thanks to Alar and his beta testing of v0.1.1, several bugs were caught. v0.1.2 fixes these bugs, changes the length of a few cutscenes, and adds Surreal to the credits.

Enjoy!
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Alar on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:04 pm

Unread postby Alar » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:04 pm

Some more bugs I've noticed:

Only the Akatsuchi side of warriors that are constantly fighting in the Mall are the only ones who get the Bloodlust effect.

Suggestion(s): Maybe you could give the opposing side a different ability, and tone down the Bloodlust a bit to even things out. OR you could just give the other side the Bloodlust too.

Also, causing the monsters outside the city to respawn might be nice.
Alar
Site Admin
Level 19 Shiraishi Minoru

Pieces of Forum-Pie: 4357

Unread postby Flak on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:58 pm

Unread postby Flak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:58 pm

- both sides in the mall should be getting bloodlust. I'll look into that. Oh, and I turned UP the bloodlust intentionally, I wanted the fighting to look brutal and fast-paced.

- monsters respawning out of town is planned.

Thanks as always, Alar!

EDIT:

- bloodlust problem fixed. It appears as though something went wrong when I shifted data from edited defaults to custom, but that particular error is resolved now. I don't think this merits its own release, so please wait until v.0.1.3.
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Flak on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:42 am

Unread postby Flak » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:42 am

v0.1.3 has a bug fix, adds monster respawn, and revamps the terrain. The map is just better now. Thanks to Alar for beta testing and Surreal for being an awesome partner.

Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Alar on Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:34 pm

Unread postby Alar » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:34 pm

Okay, so a few things I spotted that might be buggy or need changing.

1) When I first talked to the Underworld Mercenary guy who is supposed to take you to the Underworld, there was at least a five to ten second lag before it said 'Yes' or 'No' basically, and he didn't say anything before that.

2) Maybe the Paper of Passage should disappear after you first use them, or they should be transported to a stash somewhere?

3) You can only sell items at the Drug Dealer. Unless this is the way you wanted it to be, see if you can fix that and let the other sellers in the Mall buy your items. It's often helpful, because you don't have to just drop everything for something better.

4) And when you transform back and forward into demon and normal form, your mana and health go up by big leaps and bounds.

OH! And when you kill the mercenaries that you summon in demon form, they give you gold. Not sure if that's a bug or not, but normally when you fight soldiers in the mall you get no gold.
Alar
Site Admin

Unread postby Flak on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:42 pm

Unread postby Flak » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:42 pm

1. That's not a bug, it was intentional. If you're of the opinion that it should not be that way, I can consider changing it.

2. Maybe. A stash (and an equipment system so you don't end up carrying 4 daggers) is planned.

3. Yup, yup, good idea. I'd never tried selling to the Mall salespeople, so I wasn't even aware that they weren't buying. I'll fix that in the next release.

4. Not sure how much I can do about that. I'm using the relative life+mana replace, so... I think it's about as precise as it can be.

5. Yeah, I'm planning on disabling bounty for summoned units. I don't want a level 10 guy with pro. level 1 to sit there all day summoning and raking in gold... before I even say it's a waste of time, it's damn shitty.

Thanks for your notes and suggestions, and I'll try to implement whatever improvements I can ASAP. Expect a new version by Monday... can't say anything about before then because starting tomorrow morning at 7:50 I'll be at an anime convention for 3 days :D

Though, I'll say this much.

I've implemented a shitload of awesome changes to the map since v0.1.3 already. It's freakin' awesome. I'm bursting with joy over my own brilliance. I'm also laughing at the ideas J gives me to put in the map. I'm not sure how many of my significant changes will be visible due to the lack of being able to progress in the map, but they're there.

And they're freakin' awesome.
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Flak on Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:47 pm

Unread postby Flak » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:47 pm

I've done a massive amount of work on VD since the last release, but there's not much that can be played with , so no testing can be done. I promised Surreal a stable release some time yesterday morning, but that didn't pan out as there's not much he could work on.

v0.1.4 should come out before August 30th (when my school picks back up again) and quite possibly so will v0.1.5. But no more promises.
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Surreal on Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:43 pm

Unread postby Surreal » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:43 pm

I am largely crippled in terms of WCIII. I cannot connect online, open many maps, and my current patch is version 1.07, and I can't get a new one from B.Net. I'm going to reinstall sometime. But 'till then I can do pretty much nothing with the WE.
Surreal
Level 8 Noob

Pieces of Forum-Pie: 488

Unread postby Flak on Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:37 pm

Unread postby Flak » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:37 pm

Well even though Surreal can't work on it, I'm releasing a semi-stable copy. It might appear as though not a lot's different, but whatever. If you wanna see major changes (the stuff with villagers in their homes) play through what's playable with the Akatsuchi path.

Major changes:
- Equipment system: you can no longer hold three shields or wear five sheepskin suits. Equipment still takes up inventory slots. A stash for quest items is planned.
- Major bug fixes and minor changes across the board.
- A lot of new terrain
- Villagers in houses- house furniture and villager randomly generated upon entering the house. Houses use same small terrain chunk. Diff. interactions and gifts etc. from diff. villagers depending on your form, path, and actions. If you kill a villager it stays dead.

This last feature is only 3/9 done for the 9 village houses I've made. The interactions that is. The villagers in 6 houses just don't talk to you. Also it's not been tested extensively, and truthfully can't be tested extensively until I enable a way to get into the Inner City with all three paths.

Well, play away if you so desire. Whatever.

Oh and there're a lot more changes than those I mentioned. Check the changelog link below.

Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Alar on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:40 am

Unread postby Alar » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:40 am

Just a few things so far, because I'll be adding more and editing as I go along and play more.

First of all, it might be prudent to give the character only one or two items. Perhaps work out a menu and have a few items of relatively equal value and let the character choose that, instead of just putting all the items you've made so far out infront of him to use. It makes the game quite easy if you choose the more powerful items. I started off the beginning of the game with +99 to my attack, and an extra 11.3 armor.

This seems a bit much, no? Another reason you should change this is because you can just sell all the items you don't need, and buy the guy his drugs without much effort.

Perhaps another thing you could do is give the player better items when the choose a faction, because it would seem that they're more or less sponsoring you, because you're running missions for them. Also, more you might consider doing with the item
thing is having the ability to have a bag you can carry to hold additional quest items, potions, and other such things without having fill up your normal inventory that carries all your weapons, armor, and other such things.

OH! And the green Shinobi archer is STILL at the drug dealer. What are they, lesbian drug dealer assassins?

Also, I'd like to know if you're going to do anything new with the stat system. I've been recently playing a Make-Your-Hero Map with a pretty unique skill system. I'm not saying it works for everything, but having something different might be nice. If you want, I can throw up some suggestions.

And Old Man Grolio STILL talks too damn fast when he's doing that final, big paragraph. I have to end up going to the Journal to review everything he's said.

I have yet to check yet, but do you always get the ability to summon Underworld Thugs when you join a faction? I would think it would make sense if you got a unique ability for each faction.

Hey! Guess what! A new bug I hadn't spotted before! When I re-ported into the Underworld HQ, I was stuck behind the guy with the Exclamation Point and the Pedestal. I've tried porting out and back in, and I'm still stuck. MAH!

More soon. :(
Last edited by Alar on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
Alar
Site Admin

Unread postby Flak on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:45 am

Unread postby Flak » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:45 am

-the starting items were just there for me to test, duh. I didn't remove them because I saw no need. They won't be there in the final v.

-you get better items as you complete missions for factions. Like, with the Underworld's first mission, you don't get a dagger as a reward- you get an Underworld dagger, which is better.

-the green archer is at the drug dealer because green+dark green are allies. Shinobi protects the drug trade.
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Alar on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:56 am

Unread postby Alar » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:56 am

Look up. I'm still adding to that one post. Danke! From now on I suppose I'll add to this one or something.

Umm.. the Salesmen other than the Drug Dealer don't sell anything anymore.
Alar
Site Admin

Unread postby Flak on Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:59 pm

Unread postby Flak » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:59 pm

OK ok ok.

Umm...

-Stats system eh. I might let you allocate your own stats each time you level. Of course levels will be much harder to gain than sitting around (current constant exp gain is temp.)

-I doubled the time and it's still too short? :\ I'll increase it more...

-It's a different ability (Underworld Protection, Shinobi Protection, etc.) I just haven't edited them for variety yet. Not a priority. Enjoy your summoned thugs.

-I'll move the emissary so that this no longer occurs.

-WTF? ok I gotta fix that...
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Surreal on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:50 am

Unread postby Surreal » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:50 am

Alright. I can map again, and I'm looking over v14 right now. One thing I feel needs changed is a few proportions. For example, two of the benches right beside the houses in the village area of town are like, as wide as the houses are.

My to do list:

-the room in the inn
-the mall thing
-the book keeper dude's little place
-expand the housing area (?)
Surreal
Level 8 Noob

Unread postby Flak on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:34 pm

Unread postby Flak » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:34 pm

-please do the room in the inn. I did that like, over a year ago, and was never satisfied with it.

-what mall thing?

-what's there to do, you going to give him a proper shelter?

-please don't at the moment; that area's in massive development and I'd like it to be untouched for a couple revisions. Thanks ^_^;;
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Surreal on Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:45 am

Unread postby Surreal » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:45 am

The mall thing where the two groups fight each other. Yellow and green.
Surreal
Level 8 Noob

Unread postby Flak on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:10 pm

Unread postby Flak » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:10 pm

What's there to do? It's fine isn't it?
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Alar on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:19 pm

Unread postby Alar » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:19 pm

It's pretty boring, that's what is wrong with it.
Alar
Site Admin

Unread postby Surreal on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Unread postby Surreal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Well, it's less boring now. There's a few groups of benches, some potted plants, and in the little avenue type thing where the two sides fight there's a few smoldering fires, barricades (not stopping the fight pathing, of course) and strewn trash. Also, there's panicked, hostile citizens running around. Or, they will be, when I remember to tell Flak to give them Wander (Neutral) for me. I kinda forgot.
Surreal
Level 8 Noob

Unread postby Flak on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:45 pm

Unread postby Flak » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:45 pm

I'll give them wander. I'll work on the map tomorrow- been really friggin' busy!
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Unread postby Alar on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:34 pm

Unread postby Alar » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:34 pm

You also need to make sure they can't vanish through one of the entry-ways when they wander into that area.
Alar
Site Admin

Unread postby Flak on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:57 pm

Unread postby Flak » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:57 pm

That's easy- they're not heroes. And even if they were heroes, I could just do a boolean unit check for "you", the variable assigned to the player's unit.
Flak
Site Admin
Level 29 Rhetoric Mage

Next

Return to Warcraft 3 Mapmaking